So, in recent weeks I have developed a love hate relationship with the bus that goes as follows:
Love:
- Convenience of not having to drive. Bonuses for that include: mucho savings on gas and ample opportunities to catch up on school reading, leisure reading, or sudoku playing
- Relaxation times before and after busy days. I have been blessed with the ability to nap in most places and the bus seems to be a good place to utilize these skills.
- I don't have to find a parking spot, pay for a parking spot, and walk far to get to my parking spot.
- My bus picks me up right in front of my apartment and drops me off right in front of my building--so convenient.
Hate:
- The fact that I have to transfer. I have gotten lucky, a whopping let's say two times, to quickly get off one bus to see that my next bus is right behind. Usually I have to wait, anywhere from 10-20 minutes. If I'm waiting for 20 minutes at the end of the day, I am NOT happy.
- The bus drivers always like to go on break right when I'm about to get home. They stop at the transit center and make everyone get off. Grr! Just take me home already!!! Thankfully Jared picks me up to keep me from going completely insane.
- People who stare. A girl the other day looked over at me about every 15 seconds. Yes, I am still sitting on the bench. Yes, I am waiting for a bus just like you. I can be the occasional starer, but people, be discrete!
- People who think their bags need a seat for themselves. Sometimes the number of available seats can be limited and the last time I checked, bags are not considered people and should not require the space of an entire seat to themselves. It's just irritating.
- (One last thing) People who don't move out of your way when you try to get on the bus and it's already packed to the front with people standing. That just happened to me and I'm not exactly sure what the two ladies who didn't move expected me to do. You're not allowed to pass the yellow line that separates the aisle from the driver's space but these ladies didn't move and seemed awfully bothered by me trying to squeeze through. Bizarre and irritating.
I don't mean to come off as someone who whines a lot and complains, but it is nice to release these feelings of dislike for the bus. In a perfect world UW would be in a town like Lawrence but then again, having a campus in such a big city has been really neat. Once you get past the idea of being super scared (during orientation, they talked about safety for quite some time), it's really easy to enjoy. Sometimes I think about how I would have never expected little old Kansas girl me to be living this way. I must say, I am proud of myself. : )
1 comment:
I am very proud of you too! The whole bus riding thing is a big adventure that does not really seem that enjoyable. I think you are taking it in stride and doing very well!
Post a Comment