July 15, 2010

Book Report (long post, sorry)

During my two years of grad school I told myself I wasn't allowed to read books for fun. Probably way too dramatic and a bit harsh on myself, but I felt that if I was going to be taking part in this higher level of learning, that I couldn't get distracted. But I love to read. Reading is an extraordinarily amazing way to lose track of time. I love being immersed in the world an author has created and let myself really sink in to it. I must admit that I tend to love only fiction (is it sad that as 25-year old I still have to say to myself "fiction = false"? mm, I should probably have that down by now) because of that whole world immersing business I do so adore. So, now that I'm on the cusp of AC (after college; I only have 5 weeks left!!!), I've really been letting myself go to town with reading. It has been amazing. And since I have the most terrible memory when it comes to remembering what I've read, I've decided to do a little documenting with you.

Maddy likes reading too.
Book #1: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--This book honestly requires no detailed explanation. All you need to know is that it's amazing. So good. I really love HP and Hogwarts is truly the only real fictional setting that I would dream of belonging to. Call me a nerd. Call me weird. I do-not-care. HP is awesome. As a side note, I read this in anticipation for the last movies coming out. I saw online that one came out in July and I got excited so I started reading this book as a refresher. I just found out like two weeks ago that really the first part comes out in November and the second in July 2011. Boo. Oh well, I'm already amped and prepared.
Book #2: The Tales of Beetle the Bard--Doesn't really count because it took me like 20 minutes, but if you read the last HP, Beetle the Bard is the essential book to follow and I had yet to read it after owning it for almost two years. The "fairy tale" stories are fun with just the right amount of wizard to appease this girl.
Book #3: The Secret Life of Bees--This book was truly an exceptional find. I saw it in the kitchenette of my department and liked how the cover and pages felt (essential) and thought it sounded like a good story. Good really doesn't cut it for what a great story it really is. It's about a young girl who is living in South Carolina in the 60s and really feels the impacts of racial segregation through the horrific, prejudice people who live in her town. The basic plot is that she lives alone with her horrible father whom she runs away from with her housekeeper/ mother figure. They find themselves living with three sisters who make honey and they all help each other to really discover life. It was written so well and flowed so easily. I enjoyed myself completely while reading it. I highly recommend it. My mother saw the movie based on the book and said it was quite good as well.
Book #4: The Spelling Bee--I enjoyed this book as well but it definitely had some very strange, weird happenings in it. It's based on a family (mom, dad, brother, sister) who are all individually searching for something more than their life has to offer. For the most part, I wanted to yell at them all and say "communicate! Your lives' (correct use of life?) issues would be solved if you freakin' just talked to one another." But alas, that didn't happen and I was left stumbling along with them as they each journeyed on their own. They were all into believing everything happened for a reason. The littlest anything was sign sent straight to them. Again, I wish I could have done some more yelling but that's what this book was all about. For those looking for a good clean book, I wouldn't recommend this as it had some inappropriate moments. :)
Book #5: Brave New World--Umm, why were we allowed to read this in high school? This book is SO bizarre and has plenty of inappropriate moments itself. I wanted to reread it because I remembered it being a big deal and holy moly, why has that book yet to be banned? So I'm not that prude-ish but I just couldn't get over imagining myself as a high schooler discussing some of the topics this book covers. I suppose AP English students are supposed to be more mature, so perhaps that's why I don't associate awkward giggling with this book. Pretty much every tabook topic is covered in this one. I also felt like I maybe shouldn't have been in AP English because I didn't get it. I mean I got it: technology was being used to control society, people weren't allowed to be individuals (no thinking, feeling, being alone, etc. etc.). I guess I just don't see what the big hype is. Oh well on that one.
Book #6: Stori Telling--This one is only slightly more embarrassing to admit to reading because it's written by Tori Spelling and is all about her life up to baby #1. But, I'm going to be a big girl and not be embarrassed to admit that I have come to enjoy her after watching her show "Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood" (on Oxygen) and wanted to know more about her. I was slightly annoyed at times with what she was complaining about things that happened in her life (omg, she was given a BMW when all she wanted was an affordable Rabbit Volkswagen) but I felt better when she acknowledged that people maybe wouldn't get why she could complain about such things. It was interesting to read about her life, hear her perspective compared to what tabloids say (is it bad that I felt at times she may have been exaggerating the truth?), and dive into one of my first non-fiction readings. I'm probably going to read all the books she has written, so I'm going to be lame-o a bit longer.
As boring as my summer reading may be, it's going to continue because this gal has jumped on the reading train and is not getting off any time soon. I promise next time I update about my reading status, I won't wait until after I have read six books. :)

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm going to stand right next to you on the "I'm a big girl for admitting it, but still a little embarrassed" side :)

I also read ALL of Tori Spelling's books after coming to LOVE her on her show and I have to say, I love her even more. I think she's a great story teller (no pun intended) and she's probably one of my favorite celebrities :)