November 6, 2008

the death of worms

Dearest little worms of Seattle,

I've noticed that it rains a lot here and I am sorry for the many losses you have experienced and the many that you will undoubtedly experience in the future. You provided me with entertainment as a young girl (I was never one of those children that pulled you apart) and as horrible as it is to admit, I am just now understanding the plight you go through in such a rainy city. Because I saw so many of your lost friends today, I would like to offer some words of advice.
1. Try finding a new place to live during the "rainy season." Perhaps you could spend your summers building a nice mound of dirt up on some rocks so when it does rain, because it definitely will, you can make a quick dash out of the dirt and be free of the hazard of drowning.
2. Try doing a little evolving. Maybe a little cross-breading with another insect that can live under water might do you well. Or, as I imagine evolution usually works, think really hard about how you wish for gills. I'm sure that would work.
3. Maybe stick to flower pots for living. There are always plenty available and they are meant to send the water down, out under the pot. So anything that's too much for you, will just come out.
I don't mean to pry or seem pushy about this, but it was a little depressing seeing how many of you were sprawled all over the pavement. I would dare say close to 20 in the mere 100 foot stretch I made from the bus to my apartment. I realize there are a lot of you, but it's not safe to play the gambling game.
I wish you luck in your future and hope you heed my advice.
Sincerely,
A.P.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you lost your marbles? You should tell the worms that they should meet with some migrating birds. Maybe they could head a little south for the rainy season. But, do not let anyone see you getting off of the bus to talk to worms...they may not understand :)I happen to remember you being quite fond of worms as a child. You would get a lot of them and play with them. You also used to eat dirt...there are pictures!