I am probably making a very obvious comparison here in stating that UW is not like KU. One "big city" compared to a town built around a college. So far they do have similarities in that when I'm in class, I know it's down to business time. Professors have proven to be funny in both locations and classmates have been equally as fun (although I would say I have made friends in my program much faster here). But, since I'm sitting on the edge of campus at U-dub, I'm missing out on getting to feel what it's really like to be apart of campus life. I have walked, having no idea where I was going, to get some shots and have my blood drawn, but I tried to make those trips as quick as possible. The view I have of UW is one that is pretty busy, with city buses zooming by and my buildings being backed up to a pretty happening street, The Ave.
Quick side note on that: the street is called "The Ave" but is in fact officially University Way NE. Coming from Lawrence where Massachusetts St. is known as "Mass," I'm having a bit of a problem understanding where "The Ave" came from. Whatever, it's probably not a big deal but I just don't get it...
Back to the point of this blog... Bottom line really is that there's just a totally different feel between the two schools. We receive weekly emails from Seattle police about the various robberies, assaults, etc. that occur around the University, scarily close by me. I saw a man urinate in a corner by the bus stop. When I saw him, I quickly looked away but the man managed to see me and started blah blah blahing about something and was coming towards me and I just used my best judgment and looked away quickly. Thankfully he went about his business but I'm just mentally preparing myself to put on my kicking feet and punching hands. They've never been used, so let's hope we don't have to test them out.
Funny side note (again) about the most recent robbers. There is apparently a tall, long-hair blond woman running around in a puffy black coat with a fur trimmed hood that is attacking people. She has stolen some phones and what not, but the funny thing is that there is a girl in my program (who I definitely like and would consider a friend) who is very tall, with very long, blond hair that just happens to own a puffy black coat with a fur trimmed hood. I just had to ask her, for the city of Seattle and my own sake, if she happened to be a cell phone thief. She laughed, I laughed and it was decided that it wasn't her. (she has a nice phone, no need for others) I thought that was a funny coincidence. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment