December 11, 2008

parenting lessons

Before I jump into my blog here, I would like to make the obvious comment about how I changed my blog background. Frankly I am not pleased with my computer skills. I wanted a cool template but I don't know how to download and paste into html computer gibberish. So, if anyone out there wants to help a girl out, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get a template off the web. Thank you kindly.

So, I feel like my cats are showing me what kind of parent I may be. I do realize that cats are actually animals, not people. They don't require nearly as much attention or care and honestly don't want much to do with either of those things. If they could speak, they would probably limit all conversation to three statements: "Feed Me." "Let me sleep." "Clean out my pooper." Life is not too complex for our little feline friends but I still feel like my future image of a parent is peeking out a bit and I must say I'm not exactly thrilled with what's emerging. I honestly give my cats anything to make them happy. Miss Mads enjoys, too much, jumping on the computer desk and following the computer mouse on the screen. This is pretty cute but not when I'm working on something. So, to get her to stop, I will throw any thing in her direction to provide as a distraction. Pens, crumpled paper, good computer paper, or my iPod headphones (I do keep an eye on her so she's not getting hurt). I don't want this behavior of mine to equal me giving my kids whatever they want. I'm pretty sure I worked that angle as a child myself, but I really want to limit giving in as much as possible (parents who read this, please don't laugh at me too much for my naivety). I also am having a really hard time disciplining the little buggers. General is always on top of the tv or crawling all over the couch and Mads jumps on the kitchen table and is just so cute. But how disgusting! She also puts her little face in our food when we are eating. The other night she stole a spaghetti noodle off of Jared's plate. I thought it was cute how much she wanted some food. What have I become!?!? We also let Maddy sleep under the covers with us. Eek again! I really hope that doesn't persist when the children come along because that is not ok. I'm not going to have a 16-year old snuggling up between me and Jared. No, definitely not ok. But I suppose I should see light at the end of the tunnel for my future days as a parent because as I said before, cats are not kids. Pets deserve to be spoiled. Kids, well, haha, deserve spoiled times too...

On the school front, my first quarter of grad school is over! I passed my practicum which means I don't totally suck, which is a good thing. If I didn't pass then this little lady would be re-evaluating her future career path. Bonus of the quarter--my client was dismissed because she met her goal. I'm just changing the world here, one little person at a time. : )

Quick editors note:
Please do not take the topic of children and my parenting skills as a sign that children are in the near horizon because they are most definitely NOT. Some day, like way some day but definitely not soon.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/

click on the one you like and it'll give you the details of how to do it. then, just go to your dashboard on blogger and choose "Layout" and it will allow you to add an element where you can just paste in the HTML code that they give you on the background website.

hope that helps!

and now i'm gonna spread rumors that you and jared are gonna have a baby :P (kidding!)

Beth said...

I don't have cats to practice on, but I definitely don't want to be like teacher Beth when I'm a mom! At least I know I won't have 28 teenagers at once.

We won't be in KS this year, fyi. My parents and Tim and I are going to Georgia to my brother's house! When will we see each other again?!

Unknown said...

I just had this same conversation with Chris last week after Belle vomitted all over me. It was seriously disgusting...right down my front...and I was suprised when my first reaction was one of worry and concern. I really thought I would want to toss her as far away from me as I could, but I felt bad for her and was worried even though she puked on my shirt, jeans, chair, shoes and floor...while I was at WORK! Pets teach you patience and compassion...you have to remember to feed them and give them water...you learn how to discipline and not give in on everything...good skills to improve on with a pet and not an impressionable child. This is why I think everyone should have to own a pet before they have a child. Kids do not get easier as they get older...they just get smarter.