January 14, 2009

i see skies of blue

I am beginning to understand what people talk about when they say Seattle is gray. When you get excited about "sun breaks" (a new term that I have learned meaning that the sun makes short peeks through the grayness...by short I mean like maybe five minutes of a peek) you know that you are in a gloomy city. It's getting kind of tricky to even tell when exactly the sun is starting to set. The apartment is just kind of light and then before you know it you can't see anymore. But, I'm not complaining. There really hasn't been a lot of rain and the temperature has been fairly easy to adjust to. We have turned on our "heater" only a few times, and I say "heater" because there is a wall unit in the living room and two small floor heaters in the bedrooms that don't really blow out warm air but just produce heat (i.e. the heat coming off is about equivalent to how much heat a large curling iron could generate), and at this very moment our bedroom window is cracked open. I'm thinking that most of the hoopla of Seattle being so rainy was to keep people away. The city is a pretty crowded place so I'll try not to put down the whole "rainy city" story too much because I'd prefer this place not get too much bigger myself.

Here's a nerd alert moment for you: Tuvan Throat Singer (this guy sings with multiple pitches at once...it is very cool)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVyyhHFKI8E

No comments: